|Title||UA96 Southern Normal School Series 2. Board of Directors|
|Creator||Southern Normal School|
Records created by and about the Southern Normal School Board of Directors. Series includes certificates of incorporation, meeting minutes, financial records, construction records, contracts, correspondence and scrapbooks.
|Year Range From||1884|
|Year Range To||1907|
|Admin / Biog History||
The Southern Normal School began when A. W. Mell and J. Tom Williams moved the Glasgow Normal School to Bowling Green and established the Southern Normal School and Business College in 1884. Chartered in 1886, the name was shortened to Southern Normal School.
In the summer of 1890, Mell and Williams turned control of the school over to alum H. A. Evans and W. J. Davis. At the end of the fall term, J. R. Alexander and H. McD. Fletcher took over the school. Fletcher left in 1891 and Alexander in 1892.
In the fall of 1892, Henry Hardin Cherry and Thomas Crittenden Cherry opened the Bowling Green Business College and Literary Institute. Although the school was newly incorporated May 31, 1893, the Cherry brothers regarded it as the direct successor to the Mell and Williams school. With the addition of a teacher training department in 1894, the school became known as the Southern Normal School and Bowling Green Business College.
Thomas Cherry sold his interest to Henry Hardin Cherry in 1899, although he returned as a teacher from 1902 to 1905. On July 21, 1899, the Southern Educational Building Company was incorporated to expand and modernize the school's facilities. Shortly after, on November 16, 1899, a fire destroyed the Southern Normal School building. The new building was completed in 1901 and was home to the Southern Normal School until 1911, when the school moved to "the Hill."
After a campaign to obtain state support for teacher training institutions, Western Kentucky State Normal School was established by legislation signed on March 21, 1906. On May 7, 1906, a commission appointed by Governor Beckham voted to locate the school in Bowling Green, and it became successor to the student body of the Southern Normal School, with H. H. Cherry as president. The business school portion renamed Bowling Green Business University in 1904 was sold off July 1, 1907 to Joseph S. Dickey, W. S. Ashby and J. Lewie Harman.
Southern Normal School (Bowling Green, KY)
|Finding Aids||TopScholar - http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/dlsc_ua_fin_aid/44/|
|Notes on Related Objects||
SC 253 Letter written on Southern Normal School & Business College stationary, June 7, 1885.
SC1248 Letter Written by Jesse Kirkland to John Milstead, May 4, 1888 on Southern Normal School stationery.
MSS 73 McElroy, Clarence Underwood, 1790-1927 Correspondence, legal and business papers, speeches, and travelogs of Bowling Green, KY attorney McElroy. I B5 F19; VII B17 F10
UA94.4 - Student/Alumni Personal Papers
|Dates of Creation||1884-1907; nd|
|Caption||WKU Archives Logo|
|Number of Images||1|
|Access Conditions||no restrictions|
|Level of Description||Series|
Certificates of Incorporation
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes