Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Creator Glasgow Normal School
Title UA95 Glasgow Normal School
Collection WKU Archives
Object Name Records
Year Range From 1875
Year Range To 1890
Description Records created by and regarding Glasgow Normal School. The collection consists mainly of publications, commencement programs and diplomas. There is also a typescript alumni list of undetermined origin.

Originally, this was an artificial collection made up of photocopies of records located in other locations in Special Collections. A reworking of the collection has resulted in links to the original materials located elsewhere in the collections. The collection is arranged in three series:

Series 1. Publications
Series 2. Clippings
Series 3. Commencement
Admin / Biog History The Glasgow Normal School opened February 9, 1875 as the "Glasgow Normal Institute" under the ownership of Professor A. W. Mell (1855-1931). When first established it was chiefly a common school, but was chartered under a board of trustees on March 9, 1876 as the "Glasgow Normal School."

Mell operated the school out of the former Urania College building in Glasgow, Kentucky. In 1882, J. Tom Williams became his partner and head of the business department. When over three hundred students enrolled in the fall of 1883, Mell and Williams sought community financial support to expand their facilities. Support was not forthcoming, however, and they decided to relocate to Bowling Green when citizens there subscribed $3,000 for the move.

Controversy raged through the summer of 1884 over Mell and Williams' right to move the school. Ultimately, they took most of the faculty, students and equipment with them, leaving behind only the Glasgow school building and charter. They called their new school the "Southern Normal School and Business College."

The Glasgow Normal School reopened in the fall of 1884 under its new head, J. M. Stallworth. Ruric N. Roark succeeded him in 1885, and was in turn succeeded in 1889 by F. M. Malone. J. R. Alexander and H. McD. Fletcher took over in the summer of 1890, but left after one term to join Mell and Williams in Bowling Green, effectively signalling the end of the Glasgow Normal School.

Additional information regarding the Glasgow Normal School is available online at:

Glasgow Normal School Bibliography
Subjects Glasgow Normal School
Finding Aids TopScholar - http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/dlsc_ua_fin_aid/39/
Notes on Related Objects

Related Publications Gardner & Gaines Business Directory for Bowling Green, 1876-77, Bowling Green, Ky., 1876. KL 459.B7G3X
Related Materials MSS 73 McElroy Collection, Series I, Box 1, Folder 7, 6th Annual Commencement Program

MSS 103 Malcolm Jones & Frances Young Jones Collection, Box 6, Folder 4, W.B. Smith grades and letter of reference; Box 8, Folder 5 Smith, Mrs. Basil, "Glasgow Normal School."

UA94.1 - Student/Alumni Personal Papers
Catalog Number UA95
Dates of Creation 1875-1890
Caption WKU Archives Logo
Extent 1/4 cu. ft.
Number of Images 1
Access Conditions no restrictions
Level of Description Fonds/Coll
Child Records Glasgow Normal School
Glasgow Normal School
Glasgow Normal School