Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Creator WKU Archives
Title UA1C WKU Archives Photograph Collection Series 2. Buildings Subseries 70. Rural Training School
Collection WKU Archives
Object Name Print, Photographic
Year Range From 1924
Year Range To 1955
Description Images of the Rural Training School.
Admin / Biog History Other names of building - Modern Rural School, Rural Demonstration School
Date Built - 1923
Date Razed - 1957

The building opened on July 4, 1923 and was in charge of Ms. Ethel Clark who was a "rural expert". It was used for demonstration work and was located on campus behind the music building. When the school first opened, twelve students did their practice teaching there and many more took observations of approximately 40 children. The purpose was to train teachers for service in a one-room school house. The building was razed in 1957 to make way for a parking lot. "Because the one-room schools are being abandoned in favor of consolidated programs, the Rural School was discontinued last year." [Park City Daily News, March 24, 1957]
System of Arrangement Images are arranged alphabetically and numerically.
Subjects Western Kentucky University
Search Terms Rural Training School (WKU)
Finding Aids TopScholar - http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/dlsc_ua_fin_aid/26/
Related Materials Images with UA1C2.70 prefix
Images with UA1C4.13 prefix
UA36I.9 - James Carpenter Personal Papers
UA100.1 - Rural Training School Records
Catalog Number UA1C2.70
Copyrights Check individual images for copyright restrictions.
Dates of Creation 1924-1955
Caption WKU Archives Logo
Credit line WKU Archives
Extent 1 folder
Number of Images 1
Access Conditions no restrictions
Parent ID UA1C2
Level of Description Subseries
Disciplines Photography
Containers Rural Demonstration School