Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Creator Education (WKU)
Title UA100 Training Schools Series 1. Rural Training School
Collection WKU Archives
Object Name Records
Year Range From 1924
Description Records created by and about the Rural Training School.
Admin / Biog History Established in 1924 for the purpose of training rural teachers in Kentucky, the Rural Training School was located just west of main campus on four acres. It was organized in accordance with the Kentucky State Course of Study for Rural Schools. An average of twelve student teachers were enrolled each term. During the summer county superintendents and school people from out of state visited the school.

The building had one large class room, a reading room, a dining room and a kitchen. It was supplied with furnace heat and running water. The students had access to a library, maps, globes, a sand table, a victrola and piano. Included in the equipment were movable, adjustable seats, one large and one small study table. The older children organized a thrift club raising pigs, chickens, vegetables and strawberries to increase their bank account. The seventh grade boys were enrolled in manual training.

The outdoor campus included basketball and volleyball courts and a baseball diamond along with a slide for the younger students. The flagstone walk, flag and flagpole were furnished by the PTA. [Talisman 1927, p. 77]

Directors:
Mae Pedigo 1947-1955
Subjects Western Kentucky University
Search Terms Rural Training School (WKU)
Related Materials UA1C2.70 - images of rural training school
UA1C7 - images of WKU departmental activities
UA36I.9 - James Carpenter faculty personal papers
UA94.7.1 - personal papers regarding WKU Training Schools
Catalog Number UA100.1
Dates of Creation 1924-
Caption WKU Archives Logo
Number of Images 1
Access Conditions no restrictions
Parent ID UA100
Level of Description Series
Disciplines Elementary Education