Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Creator WKU Archives
Title UA1C WKU Archives Photograph Collection Series 2. Buildings Subseries 36. Hardin Planetarium
Collection WKU Archives
Object Name Print, Photographic
Year Range From 1967
Description Images of Hardin Planetarium
Admin / Biog History Date Built - 1967
Architects - Johnson

Namesake:
The planetarium was named for Hardin Cherry Thompson [1938-1963], son of President Kelly Thompson who died during his senior year at Western. Thompson, an Industrial Arts major, was active in the Arts and Craft Club, Scabbard and Blade, the Pershing Rifles and served as a College Heights Herald reporter.

The observatory is located 15 miles west of Bowling Green along Petros Browning Road and has a 24 inch telescope, a photometer and camera.

History:
Dedicated on October 13, 1967, the planetarium is seventy-two feet in diameter and 44 feet high, seats approximately 200 spectators in upholstered seats arranged in concentric circles with radical aisles. It contains a projection hemisphere room, display galleries and offices.["Planetarium One of Nine Western Structures Set for Dedication," Oct. 5, 1967]. The building was dedicated on Oct. 14, 1967.
System of Arrangement Images are arranged alphabetically and numerically.
Subjects Western Kentucky University
Search Terms Hardin Planetarium (WKU)
Finding Aids TopScholar - http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/dlsc_ua_fin_aid/26/
Related Materials Images with UA1C2.36 prefix
Catalog Number UA1C2.36
Copyrights Check individual images for copyright restrictions.
Dates of Creation 1967
Caption WKU Archives Logo
Credit line WKU Archives
Extent 4 folders, oversize, 38 slides
Number of Images 1
Access Conditions no restrictions
Parent ID UA1C2
Level of Description Subseries
Disciplines Photography
Containers Hardin Planetarium - Construction
Hardin Planetarium
Hardin Planetarium
Hardin Planetarium - Construction
Hardin Planetarium - Equipment
Hardin Planetarium
Hardin Planetarium
Hardin Planetarium