Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title UA1C WKU Archives Photograph Collection Series 2. Buildings Subseries 20. Diddle Dorm
Creator WKU Archives
Description Images of the Diddle Dorm.
Collection WKU Archives
Object Name Print, Photographic
Admin / Biog History Other Names:
Underwood Family Home
Thomas Family Home
Girl's Dormitory
Men's Dormitory
Basketball Dormitory

Date Built - 1900
Date Razed - 1994
Dimensions - 39'1" x 35'
Gross Square Feet - 6,320 (1969)

Rooms:
10 dormitory rooms
2 one-family dwelling
2 lounges
12 custodial areas
2 mechanical rooms

Architects - Robert Underwood

History:
Originally the building was home to Richard Underwood, who designed it. Western Kentucky University acquired the house in 1923.

"One of the most versatile buildings on the Hill, Diddle's Dorm, which was originally a private home, was purchased by Western and became the home of the Music Department until the present Music building was constructed. Used as a girls' dormitory it was known as the "Little Dorm" during World War II when the air cadets had preempted both girls' dormitories. In 1944, the building became an athletics' dormitory managed by Coach E.A. Diddle and rechristened "Diddle Dorm." [Talisman, 1949] In the earlier days there were classrooms that were used for English, History, Education and Music. When it became "Diddle Dorm" in 1950, Coach Diddle and his wife lived in the front part of the building while most of his players lived in the back. Diddle lived in the house until his death in 1970. Mrs. Diddle lived there until 1978. In 1978, after renovations had been made, the front of the house became the team manager's apartment. Players lived in the dorm until 1994. The building was razed in the summer of 1994 due to termites. "Diddle Park" was created on the site. Stones from the house were reused to make steps and benches.

Namesake:
Edgar Allen Diddle was born at Gradyville, Kentucky March 12, 1895 to John A. and Mary Elizabeth Hughes Diddle. After his early education at Columbia, Kentucky, Diddle entered Centre College at Danville in 1915 where he excelled in football and basketball. He served in the Naval Aviation program during WWI, returning to Centre in 1918. He left again in 1920 to begin his coaching career at Monticello High School. In 1921 he coached at Greenville High School. On September 7, 1922, he joined the staff at Western as athletic director and coach of all sports. He relinquished his duties as head football coach in 1929 and of baseball in 1956.

Diddle married Margaret Louise Monin December 27, 1923. The couple had two children, Edgar Allen Diddle Jr. and Mary Jo Diddle Phillips. E.A. Diddle, Sr. died January 2, 1970.
System of Arrangement Images are arranged alphabetically and numerically.
Subjects Western Kentucky University
Search Terms Diddle Dorm (WKU)
Finding Aids TopScholar - http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/dlsc_ua_fin_aid/26/
Related Materials Images with UA1C2.20 prefix

KL images - B3664 - Underwood Home
Catalog Number UA1C2.20
Copyrights Check individual images for copyright restrictions.
Dates of Creation 1900-
Caption WKU Archives Logo
Credit line WKU Archives
Extent 2 folders, 1 glass plate
Number of Images 1
Access Conditions no restrictions
Parent ID UA1C2
Level of Description Subseries
Disciplines Photography
Containers Diddle Dorm
Diddle Dorm