Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title UA1C WKU Archives Photograph Collection Series 2. Subseries 83. Structures
Creator WKU Archives
Description Images of structures on WKU campus. These include the bridge at the fort, the Cherry Sundial, Cherry Statue, Creed Monument, Diddle Statute, Guthrie Bell Tower, proposed Memorial Tower and the Spoonholder.
Collection WKU Archives
Object Name Print, Photographic
Year Range From 1906
Admin / Biog History Henry Hardin Cherry Statue
Date Built - 1936, set 1937
Cost of Construction - $10,000
Artist - Laredo Taft

Cherry Statue Time Capsule

Henry Hardin Cherry Statue brochure

WKU Cherry Statue Committee Records

Items to be placed in Copper Box beneath Henry Cherry Statue - not housed in WKU Archives:

Bent, Silas. His Memorial is Western State, LCJ, 2/12/1937, D3882
Box label 1, D3854
Box label 2, D3855
Cherry, Henry. Address made on Accepting the Permanent Charimanship of the State Democratic Convention, 1915, D3846
Christmas cards to Cherry from faculty members, not duplicated
College Heights, D3845
Crabb, A.L. A Prophet Among His Own People, TCH, nd, D3887
End Comes to Dr. Henry Hardin Cherry Sunday Afternoon at Home Here, BG Times-Journal, 8/2/1937, D3883
Expense reports, not duplicated
Letters concerning cost of Statue, not duplicated
Not to be Opened Until the Year 8113, np, nd, D3885
Receipt for Lock D3884
Wesley Hall Reveals Record of Past, np, nd, D3886
Who's Who biography, D3878
WKSTC Seal, D3859

Aerial View of WKU Campus, not duplicated
Henry Cherry Statue, not duplicated
Lorado Taft portrait, not duplicated, included in TCH
WKU Student Body, nd, not duplicated

Coins, not duplicated

Old Fort Bridge
Other Names - Kissing Bridge
Date Built - 1925
Architects - WKU Manual Arts Students

"We Are Not Surprised," College Heights Herald, July 16, 1925:

Mr. Wright, the landscape architect for the school, placed a bridge across the trench from the fort proper and an alcove back among the rocks. The manual arts students in our own school then planned the details of construction under the supervision of Mr. L.T. Smith. The construction of this unique retreat was done by Mr. Roman Emberger, an advanced student in manual arts. He was assisted by his brother and Mr. Hill, who are students that are specializing in manual arts. This retreat is very pretty and is an addition to the Hill that all of the students will enjoy, especially those that are looking forward to making a home in the near future, for here they can come together and make their plans as well as enjoy themselves without fear of being classed as bookworms. This is only one of many improvements on the Hill that are due to the manual arts department.

Additions - 2005 - SGA votes to fund repairs to reopen bridge

Date Built - ca. 1929, rebuilt 1935
Date Razed - 1935, 1938

Small wooden structure where students met between and after classes. Generally a place where couples could rendezvous located in front of "Old Potter Hall" on the site of the current Cherry Hall.

The second spoonholder was a large octagonal concrete structure with seats around a tree and around the outer rim, built on the site of the first. It was estimated to seat approximately 100.

Before the Goal Post became the mecca of idle students, people who had neither the time nor the energy to go to the bottom of the hill and back found the "Spoonholder" a convenient and popular place to meet for discussing current happenings and for courting. The "Spoonholder" was torn down to make room for Cherry Hall. "[1949 Talisman, p. 7]

The current [2008] "Spoonholder" is a terraced seating area just across the drive from Gordon Wilson Hall and Van Meter.

Swimming Pool
Date Built - 1931
Architects - Brinton Davis
Contractor - J.U. Schickli Construction Company

History: The pool was adjacent to the Health & Physical Education Building now known as Helm Library on the site of the current Cravens Graduate Center & Library. "It was located in a lovely spot, although the overhanging trees created a problem in keeping the pool clean. Used for both classes and recreation, the pool was reserved during the 5:30-6:30 hour for the Bowling Green public. Admission was fifteen cents with discounts ranging up to twenty swims for two dollars when payment was made in advance. 'A warm soap bath,' 'regulation cotton suits,' and rubber caps were required. 'Spitting, blowing the nose, spouting water are forbidden.'" [Harrison, p. 102]

The pool was heated and had underwater lighting. It was 60' x 120' in size and could hold 330,000 gallons. The depth ranged from 3 to 7 feet. The pool was removed in preparation for the construction of Cravens Graduate Center & Library in 1970.

Water Tower
Replaced by - Big Red Tank, 2004
Date Built - 1929
Razed - 1971
Cost of Construction:
Capacity - 150,000 Gallons
System of Arrangement Images are arranged alphabetically and numerically.
Subjects Western Kentucky University
Search Terms Cherry Statue (WKU)
Old Fort Bridge (WKU)
Pylon (WKU)
Spoonholder (WKU)
Swimming Pool (WKU)
Water Tower (WKU)
Finding Aids TopScholar -
Related Materials 2006.71.9 - Centennial Poster
Images with UA1C2.83 prefix
UA3/1 President's Office - Henry Cherry
Catalog Number UA1C2.83
Copyrights Check individual images for copyright restrictions.
Caption WKU Archives Logo
Credit line WKU Archives
Extent 22 folders, 5 oversize, 16 negatives, 37 slides
Number of Images 1
Access Conditions no restrictions
Parent ID UA1C2
Level of Description Subseries
Disciplines Photography
Containers Spoonholder
Swimming Pool
Pylon - Construction
Pylon - Slides
Bridge at Fort Johnston
Swimming Pool
Bridge at Fort Johnston
Bridge at Fort Johnston
Swimming Pool - Negatives
Bridge at Fort Johnston - Negatives
Pylon - Negatives
Tennis Courts
Public Art
Water Tower
Statues - Slides
Bridge at Fort Johnston
Statues - Negatives
Fort Albert Sidney Johnston - Slides
Statues - Slides
Cherry Statue
Other Structures
Water Tower
Bridge at Fort Johnston - Negatives
Statues - Negatives