Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title UA96 Southern Normal School Series 1. Publications
Creator Southern Normal School
Description Publications created by and about the Southern Normal School. Series includes recruitment materials such as advertisements and flyers; course catalogs; student newspaper The Southern Educator and the announcement that the Southern Normal School will become Western Kentucky State Normal School.

Collection WKU Archives
Object Name Records
Year Range From 1883
Year Range To 1907
Admin / Biog History The Southern Normal School began when A. W. Mell and J. Tom Williams moved the Glasgow Normal School to Bowling Green and established the Southern Normal School and Business College in 1884. Chartered in 1886, the name was shortened to Southern Normal School.

In the summer of 1890, Mell and Williams turned control of the school over to alum H. A. Evans and W. J. Davis. At the end of the fall term, J. R. Alexander and H. McD. Fletcher took over the school. Fletcher left in 1891 and Alexander in 1892.

In the fall of 1892, Henry Hardin Cherry and Thomas Crittenden Cherry opened the Bowling Green Business College and Literary Institute. Although the school was newly incorporated May 31, 1893, the Cherry brothers regarded it as the direct successor to the Mell and Williams school. With the addition of a teacher training department in 1894, the school became known as the Southern Normal School and Bowling Green Business College.

Thomas Cherry sold his interest to Henry Hardin Cherry in 1899, although he returned as a teacher from 1902 to 1905. On July 21, 1899, the Southern Educational Building Company was incorporated to expand and modernize the school's facilities. Shortly after, on November 16, 1899, a fire destroyed the Southern Normal School building. The new building was completed in 1901 and was home to the Southern Normal School until 1911, when the school moved to "the Hill."

After a campaign to obtain state support for teacher training institutions, Western Kentucky State Normal School was established by legislation signed on March 21, 1906. On May 7, 1906, a commission appointed by Governor Beckham voted to locate the school in Bowling Green, and it became successor to the student body of the Southern Normal School, with H. H. Cherry as president. The business school portion renamed Bowling Green Business University in 1904 was sold off July 1, 1907 to Joseph S. Dickey, W. S. Ashby and J. Lewie Harman.
Search Terms Southern Normal School (Bowling Green, KY)
Finding Aids TopScholar - http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/dlsc_ua_fin_aid/44/

Digital copies of the Southern Educator: http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/dlsc_ua_records/

Publication Index - http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/dlsc_ua_fin_aid/284
Notes on Related Objects

Related Materials UA51/3 - BGBU, Ogden & SNS Publications Index - http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/dlsc_ua_fin_aid/284/
UA94/4 - Student/Alumni Personal Papers
Catalog Number UA96.1
Dates of Creation 1883-1907
Caption WKU Archives Logo
Number of Images 1
Access Conditions Southern Educator is available on microfilm and digitally at http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/dlsc_ua_records/ - do not pull originals.
Parent ID UA96
Level of Description Series
Containers Southern Educator
Catalogs
Publication
Recruitment Materials
Oversized Promotional Papers
Catalogue
Newspaper